Internet poker is just as much of a game of luck as other types of poker. The hand you are dealt, the cards you see, the flop, turn and river are entirely up to fate and I’m sure you can appreciate that. You are in the same situation at the casino poker table, just in reverse. However, internet poker is different because the other players are not sitting across from you and you can’t see them. You can’t see their facial expressions, their body language, their hands or even their eyes. In this article, I’m going to mostly focus on the theory of the game and how to win when playing internet poker.
The theory of the game is the basic building block for winning internet poker.
- The theory is in order for you to be a winner you have to have a hand that’s good enough. Internet poker has very few hands that are really strong. The average hand you are dealt is usually one that’s good but not unbeatable. Like a good hand of blackjack, but it’s not a royal flush. The exception to this rule is when you call a bet on the flop with nothing in the pot. In that case, you need to have a lower hand than the one required to call the bet to stay in the hand. Although this doesn’t always work, it is a safe assumption that you will not lose your entire stack on the flop.
- The easiest way to win when playing internet poker is to make the other players play against you. This requires you to call large bets with very marginal hands, or to raise and bet large amounts in order to thin the number of players in the hand.
As the game progresses, and with nowhere to go, most players will start playing back at their opponents.
- This is the time when you need to step up your game. Here, you will have to play aggressively and make people pay to continue playing. Being constantly aggressive will wear people down and they will fold to your raises. You will not win the game by just winning one hand, you will need to win a series of hands to even out the count.
- Although as an example, this Texas hold ’em example may not apply to your style of play, you will need to adjust your strategy if your opponent is playing with a lot of cards. In this case, you may want to call large bets with very marginal hands, or raise and bet to build the pot. Adjust your style to the other players at your table, and do not let your ego get in the way of an opportunity to win big.
- The simplest strategy to win with internet poker is to take money off your opponents as much as possible. The hands that you want to keep in play the most are high pocket pairs, and then suited connectors. Be aggressive with these hands and you will win a lot of small pots off people who think they have a good hand when they have nothing, just like I do when I play.
If you change up your strategy, you will find that you can win more pots more easily. When you are doing this, you will have a lot more success because you are playing as people, not as a dealer. If you have a plan, you need to stick to it. Be kind and you will find that you will win a lot more money in the long run when people have a lot less money in their pockets.